Re: Music Scene

Hi friends,

For a healthy long time I have been enjoying lots of interesting
posts in this thread. Right now it suddenly hit me how we compare our
musical tastes on this list without much thinking about how
differently we all experience music. Even the same individual can
change musical taste rather rapidly over time. The key word that
trigged these thoughts was "Jamie Lidell". When I first heard about
him on several online boards I had not been listening to much of his
stuff (except for old Supercollider etc). But I was very excited  to
read interviews where he was talking about his plans to conquer
declining CD sales by setting up a live rig that would let him both
perform and remix electronic dance music in a real-time
improvisational way (his famous Max patch). However, when I finally
bought his record and saw this video clip I couldn't help being left
with the feeling of disappointment. Why? It just appeared as I was
seeing and hearing different dimensions of his art than other people.
I had expecting something unique and then I was confronted with "the
usual soul singer style music". This reaction was of course
subjective, since I was never a fan of Marvin Gaye ;-))  But IF I
should have been a Marvin Gaye fan I might have thought that Lidells
show kicked ass because it "he does bend the right notes", or
whatever...  Well, I don't really know where I'm trying to take this,
but I just have this feeling that we may not always discuss the same
thing when talking about "art" and "looping". Why are we not talking
about "showmanship" and "entertainment" that much? I think those were
the dimensions of Lidells show that made me like it even though I
wasn't very keen on "the content".

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)