Re: MaxMSP looping - was: Re: Did a quick Mobius gig today :-)

Jeff Kaiser wrote:
> For example, my looper was first made by andrew, but then I got in
> it, saw how it worked, and modified the interface to fit my
> needs...the modularity and modifiability would give us all what we
> want: more!

One point is that the needs of each individual are very different.
Andrew made the patch for you, and now you got the ideal starting point.

I have every three weeks a new composer in the studio, each time I
create an instrument. Each instrument is very different, but fits the
needs of the piece we are working on and I try to fit it to the style
and interests of the composer, that he would be able to go on on his
personal path.

On the other hand, to create a simple looper can be very easy. The other
day I visited a composer in Paris to install the patch we made on his
computer, then his children showed up, wondering what we are doing, I
just opened a blank page and within half a minute the first delay was
going, some seconds later I've added a feedback, and the kids couldn't
stop to shout into the loop and listen to themself, constantly adapting
the patch to what was flowing by...

To start out I can imagine to make a little tutorial "how to a looper
like (put in your favorite hardware looper)". Maybe we start with
something like a DD-20. I haven't touched a hardware looper for a long
time, I'd need some explanation/manual to get it going.

Stefan

--

  [][]  [][][]  [][]  [][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]