Re: Ebow distortion

Yeah, the Ebow is a lot more responsive with your
distortion pedal turned off, but the nature of its
sustain is similar to clipping. Experimentation with
different gain settings will get different tones out
of it, but the 'typical' harmonic-laden ebow sound is
much like the tone Robert Fripp got on his first
albums with Eno by using a lot of amp gain right on
the verge of feedback (NOT an ebow, but it sounds like
it). Try rolling  your guitar's volume knob way back;
with less pickup gain, the subtleties of the ebow's
tones are more pronounced, although the characteristic
sustain is always going to be pretty much associated
with square-wavish distortion.

They're fun on acoustic, too; if you follow the link
in my sig file to my 'Mesh' CD, you can hear a clip of
my tune 'Gauss' which is ebowed/looped acoustic...

-t-

<http://www.myspace.com/nimbletunes>
'Rantai' CD: <http://cdbaby.com/cd/timnelson1>
'Mesh' CD: <http://cdbaby.com/cd/timnelson2>