Max/MSP vs. PD vs. jMax

All the Max discussion is really getting my interest. I'm curious if anyone here has observations on the three branches on the "Max tree." I'm an old-time Max user, but I'm still balking at the price for the current Max/MSP release. There are two free Max variants: Pd is Miller's Puckett's (UCSD) max variant:
http://puredata.info/
And then there's jMax from Ircam
http://freesoftware.ircam.fr/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=14

I've played with both, and they both "work" on my windows machine, but I haven't done any real work with them. I'd love to hear from anyone who has experimented with the three and has an opinion. (and Bidule and EnergyXT, as well)
--
Art Simon
simart@null.net