Re: re: 4/5/6 string bass OT

At 15:41 10/05/2006, you wrote:

>(personally, I really don't like light strings on the low notes and
>always go for
>the thickest possible )<<<
>
>top meaning high notes.
>
>If thicker lower strings work for you, go for it, but my own
>experience is that you get exactly the effect you're talking about -
>a loss of clarity and intonation above the 5th fret. With a lighter B
>and E string, I get a lot more clarity and better balance across the
>strings. YMMV.
>
>cheers
>
>Steve

hi Steve,

no...i'll never change :-)

.105 >>> .045 nickel wound for the 4 standard strings.
......it's set in stone
.......the other 2 have to match

My calculations for even tension say .140 for a low E

so quite likely my dissatisfaction is down to the fact that I'm using .130
there at the moment.
(intonation is fine)

andy