RE: PC Notebooks and Cleaning up the startup menu

Kris, see http://www.musicxp.net/.  It looks like it has at least some
of the compendium of advice about tuning an XP-based machine for audio
that I found 4 years ago when I set up my Vaio.  I was looking into how
to turn off the power management features in XP, I think related to
bypassing automatic IRQ assignments. I have a printout of that
compendium, from Tweakers' Asylum, but looking today it was anything but
obvious how to navigate to that now. I've since seen other similar
instructions, but in my opinion they were not as comprehensive.

Anyway it looks like the link I pasted in above will take you to a
pretty comprehensive discussion of services and other issues related to
maximizing the audio performance of an XP machine. You may not wish to
do as much as I did, which eliminated any power saving, alerts about
battery power and the like, and "disconnected" all means of going
online.

If this site doesn't satisfy you, take a look at what a search on "XP
audio tweak" or something similar gets you.

Howl Din