gut-string bass guitar Re: 4,5,6,strings.why stop there?

As long as we're discussing unusual low-frequency axes, I figured I'd
mention my mid-sixties Japanese classical, which I use as a fretless
octave-down instrument. (Yes, I just yanked out those frets by the roots,
I did I did!)

Nylon string guitars sound amazingly like an upright when detuned, and the
process is aided by the terrible quarter-inch action at the nut. (This was
before Japan learned how to make good guitars, though the soundhole
rosette is improbably gorgeous. I swear, the factory must have put all
their money and attention into that one detail ;-)

I simply found a high-tension classical set, discarded the high E, used
the low E for an A, etc etc etc... the tension is just right---enough
tension to intonate, not enough to ruin my feeble joints. Now I need a
cello string for the low E.

Anyway, it sounds great, even though I am too cheap to have someone plane
the painted-on fretboard. There is also some joy in knowing that there are
probably only 100 other such mutant instruments extant.

~Tim
www.myspace.com/timmungenast
www.mungenast.com