Re: OT: Morphine and two saxes?

Per Boysen wrote:

> I once played baritone in a soul band that also had a second baritone
> sax player. Those Wilson Picket riffs came out very heavy as we  always
> played in unisone with a third guy on trumpet doubling one or  two
> octaves up.

I know what you mean.  Fantasizing about holding down the bari chair in
Tower of Power is pretty high up on my guilty pleasures list.

I was in a band like that once, and we had separate PAs for the horn
section and the vocals.  During one gig, the vocal PA died, so we had to
sacrifice ours for The Greater Good, and play unamplified.  The only way
I could be heard was to trim the reed till it had the compliance of
armor plate, blow so hard I could feel my aorta leaking, and breathe
into a paper bag between songs to keep from passing out.

> Bari is a cool instrument but way too heavy to carry
> hanging from your neck. I sold it very long ago but it stills comes
> back in my dreams, now looking like a four meter long vacuum cleaner
> that I blow into to make huge snarling sounds ;-)

These days, I've found that an EWI driving Absynth or Sculpture can make
huge snarling sounds that are even more annoying than a bari. Even
better, the Looperlative just keeps snarling right back at you. :-)

Brian