Re: Looping with Backing Tracks???

Hi Sean.
I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to do this kind of stuff in Ableton so I can enhance my solo jazz act. I've got a certain amount of it working by using a session of Reaktor running inside Ableton to automate Ableton's functions in response to a single pedal. There is a Reaktor sequencer where you set the order of steps you want, something like:

1. Record into Track 3 Slot 1.
2. Play back Track 3 Slot 1 while recording into Track 4 Slot 1.
3. Play back Track 4 slot 1 while Track 3 Slot 1 continues playing.

etc.

The Reaktor sequencer sends MIDI commands out of Ableton into a MIDI Yoke and back into Ableton's remote control channel. The slots in Ableton have been set up with controller messages so that they can be activated by external MIDI.

Anyway, that's how I did the "Funk Loops" example on this page:

http://www.marksmart.net/instruments/continuum/continuum.html

One pedal was used to advance to the next step. You hit the pedal a little ahead and as usual Ableton starts recording right on beat 1 of the next bar.

The same method could be used to play back pre-stored loops in Ableton, or whatever you want to do. I plan to incorporate Hammond organ sounds and my Reaktor big band synth...

http://www.marksmart.net/sounddesign/windsounds/reaktorbigband/reaktorbigband.html

...into this using this method, but I haven't gotten all the details worked out. For a lot of songs I will probably have a pre-recorded ending and/or intro. But you need Reaktor (or some other program that is highly configurable and sends MIDI) to do this. Hope this helps.

Mark Smart
http://www.marksmart.net