Re: Expression pedals: linear taper

>Hi,
>For expression pedals (attached to a midi foot controller) , do folks
>find it more preferrable to have a linear taper,  or log taper , other?
>

>Thanks
>-Qua

Depends on the how the hardware is designed,
ideally the pedal motion would be converted linearly to MIDI CC,
and then the way that CC effects the sound would be programmed
to respond as log, linear or whatever.

There's no standard as to what pot is used to achieve this, and some
manufacurers
would like you to buy their own brand pedal, so aren't too revealing
about what works with
their gear.

Matthias tells me that "log" pots are mostly a combination of a
couple of linear sections anyway.

There's only 128 steps in midi control, so it's not very accurate.
There's going to be either zipper noise,
or a delay in the response (for smoothing).

So you asked a good question, but the only answer I have is to try
what's available and find what works.

andy butler