RE: Max/Msp as a compositional tool....

If you're in the SF Bay Area and interested in MAX at all, you should check
out Keith's presentation. Keith is a brilliant (and super nice) guy, and
MACIAS is a system he's been working on (part time) more-or-less since I
met
him in the mid-1980s. At the risk of misrepresenting... Each member of
TrioMetrik has a screen in front of them, and all their audio and MIDI is
processed "together"; i.e., things that one musician does affect what
others
do. MACIAS is designed to faciliate both notated and improvised music. And
the members of TrioMetrik are all quite excellent musicians (the basic
instrumentation, I believe) is guitar, violin and 'cello). Keith, by the
way, was the founder of Zeta Musical Instruments, makers of one of the top
MIDI guitar controllers and very successful in the electric violin field as
well, and he was also the founder of Octiv, whose multiband compression
objects are included in MAX (and in a number of embedded applications).

If the presentation wasn't 3000 miles away, I would surely be there.

Oh, and by the way, I believe MACIAS includes extensive looping
capabilities
in both the audio and MIDI domains.

Best wishes,
Warren Sirota