Re: OS? Home, Media or Pro? (was Re: Mobius on an Intel Mac (and more questions))

----- Original Message -----
From: "jeff larson" <jeff.larson@sailpoint.com>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Thursday, 18 May, 2006 20:39 PM
Subject: RE: OS? Home, Media or Pro? (was Re: Mobius on an Intel Mac (and
more questions))

>> From: Stephen Goodman
>>
>> XP Pro!
>
> Why?  Can you name the features of XP Pro that you use?

I tend to have to anticipate any possible use of PCs by a client, but in
my
purchase of XP Pro had initially understood that there are less features
in
home regarding networking, and had gotten spolt with this under Windows
2000
Pro.  I hadn't heard about the Novell support and was relieved to find it
when I had a client's server box here for some setup.  Win 2000's still
quite a fine OS but not as stable while capturing or recording large files
(>200MB).  Conversely I haven't had one crash while manipulating or
recording the same material under XP.  Also I like having a free Backup
utility, amongst other things.

Krispin's reference is a good one to start from.  But my needs have to do
with anticipation of as much as possible.  Thus, "Top End of Current OS"
usually applies.  I'm slavering to get Vista, which I hear is elegant
without being too clunky and chunky.

OT, but this inability to either draw (pen broken) or play (middle finger,
I'm going to get a copy of the x-ray, very rock n roll), the new system
accepts input from my MD player, and so I'll get some work done on
remastering the somewhat noisy recording of a live performance on Good
Friday 2001, at a thing called "Critical Mass".

S.