RE: Computers and Global responsibility - was RE: Snap, Crackle, Pop - VST Effect & Sound Card Problems

As Jeff advises, look no further if you wish to stick to looping.

I thought this might become at least a bit of a bombshell. I wrestle
with it from time to time, but as Jeff notes, it is only part of a much
larger picture.

Having said that, I think the choices we make DO matter. OK, we're
musicians and have gear we use. Other people have their own version of,
shall we say, "specialized technological consumption." Let the
architects and engineers talk among themselves about their reliance on
CAD, #d modeling software, and frequent hardware and software upgrades.
But, IMHO, we as musicians have a responsibility equal to that of the
rest of society to reexamine how we do what we do. People with lawns
constitute a much broader swath of the population; I'm not sue i grasp
the analogy, but I WOULD say, yes, do please ditch the 2-cycle lawn
mower engines.

Having just disagreed with Jeff on one point, I'll say I agree with him
on every other, including not feeling bad about buying a computer.
Backing away from consumerism is key to our moving toward a sustainable
world, but Luddism isn't the answer either.

Maybe further discussion on this one ought to move off LD.

Hal Dean