Suggestions for writing your own custom looping VSTs

Summer vacation is coming up, and I'm thinking of trying to write a
Looping VST plugin. I know it's reinventing the wheel, but I think I
enjoy trying to make something just something for personal use, maybe
something with randomness and pitch-shifting (kind of like xoxos
discipline2). It appears that you can write your own VST using
SynthEdit, PD and Max. I have a basic understanding of C++ and Java,
and I'd be interested in coding my own, but I don't have the first
idea how to go about it. Anybody out there want to share their
experiences? I'm aware of some SynthEdit tutorials, but nothing
specific to looping, anybody know of any? I'd love to hear what Jeff
Larson has to say : )
--
Art Simon
simart@null.net