Re: Software vs Hardware, Laptop vs Oldskool

Nice post Rainer!  Comes at a time when I'm putting
together my own laptop setup and it really helps with
visualization of a possible system.

I think you're on the mark with the idea of a hybred
setup.  I for one would never go out without my
dedicated hardware Vox Tonelab.  A) I love it.  B)
it's bulletproof in terms of a setup and has a looper
on board.  Laptop goes down?  I've got an 8 second
looper patch all ready and the show goes into ambient
mode.

Second, you need some sort of MIDI controler for
synths, why not  have one that is a synth as well?  Do
you have the Nord Micromodular with the keyboard?
That would be a total must for me.  Right now it would
end up being an Alesis Micron for me.  It's small and
has some built in sequencing of it's own which would
come in handy if the laptop goes kerflewey.

Anway, that's the plan that's gelling in my head right
now.  If I were a real "pro" I'd probably think about
adding some midi syncable looper to that setup as a
failsafe for laptop meltdown.  Sadly tales of the
RC-50s poor sound quality while in slave mode takes
that out of the running, but I can imagine a second
Repeater might work perfectly if the need should
arise.  My real hope is that eventually the laptop
will be solid enough to run a requencer, Stylus RMX,
Battery and Mobius.  If I could get a softsynth in
there as well that would be a bonus.

I hope I can resist the temptation to go crazy with
the VSTs and end up with issues similar to Krispen's.
I'm going to try and view the laptop as one would view
a piece of dedicated hardware.

--- Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill

=== message truncated ===