Re: Myspace OWNS your posted content....

At 10:30 PM +0200 6/6/06, Stefan Tiedje wrote:
>loop.pool wrote:
>>If I get a satisfactory and respectful answer to this situation
>>I"ll let everyone know and
>>then, perhaps we can start a    Live Loopers at Tribe.net    thread.
>
>I could live with the rules of MySpace regarding the license, as I
>retain control by the ability to remove the content again, which is
>fair...

Yep, I would agree.  However, IIRC this whole MySpace hubbub began
when somebody actually went through the agreement several months ago,
and *at that time* there was no clause stipulating that the license
terminated when you pulled the content.  Thus, there was no stated
termination limit and the earlier agreement did de facto cover your
material, as Duncan put it, "in perpetuity" (or at least as long as
they retained backup tapes).

That's since changed (bravo!) due to user backlash, I think.  Why
such a edit had to occur as the result of user protest -- rather than
merely being a part of good contract practice by News Corporation's
army of lawyers at the very beginning -- makes me a little wary, but
still not so much as:

>But my bigger concern is that MySpace belongs to the evil forces of
>Mordor (though he spells himself Murdoch). They make a lot of money
>with the help of the contributors, but do not share this. This might
>be not fair.

Right there with you.  Although I don't feel that Murdoch has
explicitly evil morals so much as he has no morals whatsoever, and
will do anything or pander to anyone merely to chase a buck.  Of the
deadly seven, Greed, I think, is more his "sin du jour".  I certainly
don't 100% trust him or his endeavors.

In as far as MySpace goes, I can't shake the feeling of merely
getting suckered.  I mean, the general pitch goes: "come post your
content to a site where you can be associated with many big names and
a huge user community".  Yet, with 10,000 other bands signing up for
the site as well, what's the chance of your being catapulted to
stardom or, for that matter, even being noticed by those celebrities
you wished to rub shoulders with?

And, in the meantime, News Corp winds up with scads of free content
(not to mention the traffic from all these bands themselves signing
up for MySpace) which Murdoch *can* then leverage to make money
himself.

Sure, people are connecting with other people, promoting their
products, and getting some good out of advertising themselves on
MySpace.  But I still get left with the icky feeling it's nothing
more than a PT Barnum spiel.

>Its time to use one of these services, I guess it doesn't matter too
>much for all of us which one it is. I'd visit looper sites
>anywhere...

Agreed.  I'll support members of the community no matter where they
choose to post their material.  Just need the URL...  ;)

        --m.
--
_______
"Somewhere between anticipation and nostalgia we should have been happy."