Re: Way OT: EM fingers!

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Sales
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Sent: Tuesday, 13 June, 2006 16:12 PM
Subject: Re: Way OT: EM fingers!

>The woman who's husband I am... (PC anyone?!) crushed her finger with a
>sledge hammer a few years ago. Lost all the feeling in the finger. She
>smashed it much worse than you, I can guarantee it - the whole finger was
>wide open - gruesome.

Yep, I had to clean up the blood before we left for the hospital, it was
all
over the new stone tiles and they hadn't been sealed yet!

>Anyhow, after a year or so of trying everything else, the feeling and a
>lot
>of the motion was restored with acupuncture.

I'll ask my acupuncturist about this.  She's done wonders for blood
pressure
and circulation around injured bits before!

>I think the carpenter might be close to right as far as healing time. But
>the rest of your fingers work, eh? Remember Django Reinhart?

Er, while I've been tempted by a very fast right hand with the idea of
re-learning to play Jimi-style, such is a hurdle I'll deal with only if I
have to.  The middle finger's my main/center point (self-taught, played by
ear since '71).  I'll tell ya it's a real temptation just to play after
going to see Fripp today.  I knew it would be a little painful thinking
about playing after coming home but I really don't want to screw up what
could be healing interior-wise just by mistakenly using that finger.

>Time to learn how to play slide guitar?

Too late.  Started using a slide in the early 80s, long before learning
anything about Blues music.  Been thinking about it, frankly.

>My own take on money, after having spent huge piles of it, is that TIME
>is
>more important than equipment.

Ah yes, but having had no disposable income - much less income - for over
six years, and seeing my 50th birthday coming up in December, I've decided
that time is something that's, as Riff Raff put it, "fleeting".

In preparation for unleashing myself on the public again, I need to find a
good, inexpensive guitar repair person to fix a grounding error in ol'
Cthulhu.  In London, someone I can see face-to-face and trust with my
beloved tool.  After several years of dealing with workmen in London I
only
use good personal references.

> Some of the most riveting, entertaining, soul stirring and wonderful
> guitarists I've ever known just used a Tele and amp... or, even simpler,
> one acoustic guitar. Just my $.02

I'll try to keep the bar high then, as all I've got is my ol' strat and an
Oscar Schmidt acoustic. :)  Yes, here's to working within limitations to
achieve a lovely result!

Thx!

>Good luck

richard sales