Re: More to slide than blues

At 00:04 15/06/2006, you wrote:
>The popularity of Hawaiian music was a global
>phenomena that spawned among other things the relatively modern tradition
>of
>Hindustani slide guitar that began in the 40's, and I believe, but I may
>be
>wrong, the development of the pedal steel guitar.
>Bill

...and in India they'd already used slide on a Vichitra Vina. Though
I'm not clear where
the idea came from.
Says here that the instrument's been around for 100 years only.

http://chandrakantha.com/articles/indian_music/gotuvadyam.html

http://www.indian-instruments.com/stringed_instruments/vichitra_vina.htm

>An curios statement considering that slide was invented by Hawaiians.
>samba

Interesting question, what other slide instruments are there?
...does a Berimbau count? that would probably have to be the earliest

andy butler