Re: Mobius/VST/VSTi host-sequencer with external sync?

On 26 jun 2006, at 20.07, mark sottilaro wrote:

> Does
> anyone have any experience getting a sequencer synced
> from a midi clock originating outside the computer?

Yes, It's ususally working just fine. What I meant, when I said I
don't like the way Live syncs to Mobius, is that I sometimes do
destructive loop cutting (like ending a Multiply with REcord, like I
do on the EDP as well) that abruptly changes the tempo. Quite often
when I did that, Live lost sync. And since I don't like watching the
laptop screen when playing I only discover it after some seconds when
the music starts to sound sea-sick ;-)   My old Repeater was a very
trusty Sync Slave, it even sounded good when failing.

> I'd love to here any ideas or experiences with doing
> inter computer sync.

As long as the tempo stays the same it use to work just fine. But
many music applications sound better when not synced so I actually
quite often simply put a second computer to the same tempo and start
recording without any sync between the two machines. Then I match the
timing for the new recording by ear to have it fit in with the big
arrangement.

> I've also been hearing about
> MIDI over ethernet that sound like a promising
> alternative.

If MIDI is sent through ethernet doesn't help if the applications
cant detect MIDI clock, or MTC or whatever....

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)