From: L.A. Angulo [mailto:labaloops@yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 24, 2006 7:09 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: amp talk

Id like to jump on the groove of this thread now
brothers,i just had a gig with an amp named "Koch" all
i can tell you is that i am floored by the sound of
this beauties the do "cook" like their name!i borrowed
it from a guitarrist friend of my bass player,he has
the multitone 50 watt head combined with the TS212H
speaker cabinet i am telling  you this combination its
absolutely beautiful!it is compact(you also have the
combo option but is more of a back
breaker),powerful,looks good and the most versatile
amp i know out there with 3 channels plus great
reverb.It compresses beautiful and the dirty channels
are nothing but great you can get any sound from the
old cats weather is jazz or rock with this amp plus
the reverb has the authentic ennio marricone 60īs surf
sound.The minute i plugged in i heard the sounds ive
been trying to get from long time and now i realize it
was due to the amps ive used in the past,although i
have a good les paul,tele and strat.I am afraid for me
is going to get harder and harder to play with digital
simulators now,the dutch got it right check them out!
http://www.koch-amps.com/
Luis

    Well, yes I was being a bit sarcastic. Ibelieve
the JC120 came to promise
fro two reasons,
1. It has self contained stereo chorused that at least
gives itssterile
sound a bit of dimension. 2. It is  very dependable
and loud, afavorite of
cartage and rental services as back line for touring
bands.
As one who has had to use provided back line amps, I
always hope that a
fender twin is present and its tubes aren't so gassed
as to make itsound
flabby. otherwise I would settle for a jazz chorus,
and I never had a
problem with its clean sound, however, I can't believe
that after allthese
years , Roland has never gotten the clue that the
distortion sound onthese
things is basically useless, not to mention the reverb
is pretty tincan
sounding as well. And this is a company that excels at
signalprocessors. Go
figure. I had a mini brute, which I took to Berklee
years ago. Ii was anice
warm clean sounding solid state amp, made even louder
by the EVMspeaker I
managed to somehow cram in to its little cabinet.
Later I had a PearceG1
amp, because it actually had a very usable overdrive
channel, soonafter I
added a Pearce extension cabinet w/ slave power amp
for stereo ,andlater I
switched to a Pearce preamp running through a boogie
power amp. Ifinally
abandoned the rack mount amp dance about ten years ago
and went back totube
combos for most of my live gigs, and a modeling amp
when doing thelooping
thing. I know a lot of great music has been played on
these amps, and
certainly if what you desire is uber clean, the JC120
has few modernpeers,
but for me, clean tube sounds better than clean solid
state, and itfeels
better, though the natural compression of a tube amp
can be mimickedwith a
good compressor (my old Pearce amps had a built in
limiter similar tothe
Gibson Lab series amps, which Dan Pearce helped
design). If you want
something like a JC120, but without the back ache, You
might try tofind a
used JC77, the discontinued baby brother to the JC120.
I found a linkon
EBAY

http://cgi.ebay.com/Roland-JC77-Jazz-Chorus-Guitar-Amp-with-Xtras_W0QQitemZ1

40000830625QQihZ004QQcategoryZ47094QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have developed a fondness for amps with a two ten
speakerconfiguration,
I own a 70's vibrolux reverb, and 60's vox AC10 twin,
and as a gigging
middle aged guy I appreciate the fact that I'm not
risking a herniaevery
time I load my amp in my trunk. I also like the
tighter bass responsethe
tens give, they just seem punchier to me..
Cheers
Bill