Re: Novation X-Station, M-Audio Ozonic

Title: RE: Novation X-Station, M-Audio Ozonic
Excellent!  I'm becoming more and more impressed with it!

I look forward to hearing what you find regarding using synth and the audio interface simultaneously.

--Josh

goddard.duncan@mtvne.com wrote:
 >> I'm thinking about using one of these as an audio interface/secondary MIDI controller for Mobius.  I like that it has the MIDI in you talked about because that will allow me to merge in commands from my FCB1010.  And I was thinking the Synth thing would be really cool.  I assume you send the synth audio via USB on an audio channel, right?

I'm glad to hear it's easy to program.  That means a lot.

Are the 9 faders pre-assigned to synth controls, or are they already MIDI continuous controllers? <<

josh-
yes, the midi-in was an unexpected bonus. in fact, you'r fcb1010, if I recall correctly, will also merge it's incoming with it's outgoing in this fashion, so you can daisy chain them & another device. midi coming back up the usb cable can be merged onto none, one or both of the midi-outs.

the synth-audio will find it's way out the usb.... but as a purely practical point, I have never tried the thing as an audio interface with the synth active aswell as the audio-in. so I don't know if this is presented to the computer as two or four channels of audio. tonight I will have a look.
the continuous controllers (all of them- there are many knobs & buttons aswell as the sliders) are freely assignable, & this doesn't "break" what they do in synth-mode. in fact, it's simpler than that- the synth mode & the controller mode are two separate states of the machine, with one switch to enable "synth" or "controller" mode.
I hardly use the synth engine, despite it's being rather good, because- well- I'm spoiled for synths already.

did I mention the quality of the hardware? it feels pretty solid compared to most of those controller keyboards (evolution &c., you know the ones I mean). the only drag is having to use a wall-wart when it's not usb-powered. it needs 500mA so a direct connection to a desktop is ok, laptops might be a bit iffy. a powered hub is probably the way to go there. it will run off batteries too.

d.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.If you have received this e-mail in error,
please e-mail the sender by replying to this message.

It is your responsibility to carry out appropriate virus and other
checks to ensure that this message and any attachments do not
affect your systems / data. Any views or opinions expressed in this
e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of MTV Networks Europe unless specifically stated,
nor does this message form any part of any contract unless so stated.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe