Re: software based phrase sampler

On Jul 3, 2006, at 4:19 PM, mark sottilaro wrote:

 > > I guarantee you though that if you tie this
 > > to an expensive piece of hardware no one will buy it.
 >
 > Why do you say that?  Isn't that what the EDP and
 > Looperlative are?

What won't sell is a combination of PC software with a piece of
required hardware.  An all hardware product is ok if you can
manufacture it cheaply enough.  All software is ok, provided you're
realistic about pricing.  But as soon as there is a hardware component
with the software, the cost is going to be pushed into the hundreds of
dollars which puts you into competition with Ableton Live.

 > Maybe it's an illusion based on lack of real
 > experience, but for some reason I just feel like the
 > top hardware loopers are still more... solid or
 > something... than laptop looping is.

In general they probably are, there's just a lot more more to go wrong
on a PC if you're not careful.  And software loopers haven't had the
same level of "burn in" that mature hardware/software like the EDP
has had, so you're more likely to encounter bugs.   These are not
insurmountable problems.

Jeff