RE: vocal looping: a list and the VOICE ELECTRONICS tribe

I read with interest and concur with the great reviews of looping
vocalists
Kid Beyond , John Whooley and Michael Shieffel and
wanted to add several others to the list as well:

PHYLL SMITH (aka DARK MUSE) who marries goth, dark ambient, found sound
and
looped ethereal vocals in here performances and CDs

SIMRAN GLEASON (overtone singing of many kinds)

MARTYN ST. MICHAEL (also an excellent overtone singer)
the excellent group LOOP STATION (This duo with vocalist, ROBIN COOMER and
cellist, Sam Bass opened up for Thomas Dolby's recent comeback performance
in San Francisco and will be featured at Y2K6 in October),

JUANA MOLINA the incredible Argentinian vocalist/instrumentalist who
combines acoustic folk songs with really fascinating
                                    avant garde electronica and looped
vocals

DIANA THOMPSON (aka PUSHING AIR)

DINA EMERSON (who also sings lead with Cirque Du Soleil and Merideth Monk)

KID LUCKY (the incredible and very influential beatboxer from New York
City)

RADIO ACTIVE (the rapper/beatboxer who performs with the politically
conscious rap group, Spearhead----I just did a show with
him and it was like taking a masters course on
beatboxing................he
was just ridiculously accomplished and inventive with two Line 6s)

a growing number of young street beatboxers that I've done shows with in
the
bay area including ADAM ANT the PLUMBER that are using
live looping devices in their shows.

there are also a lot of loopers like JEFF KAISER, RENA JONES, GARY REGINA
and many others who incorporate a lot
of vocals into their multi-instrumental looping.

Then there are singers like the famous dark avant garde artist DIAMANDA
GALAS who toured with looping live processing sound engineer
and beloved L.D. list member, DR. RICHARD ZVONAR (who, very sadly, passed
away last year)

I hope I didn't leave anybody out but I'm sure I did.

***************

Oh, yeah,  and there's moi:

I  put out an entire CD two years ago that is  voice-only  live looping
(with half the tracks using unusual techniques
for computer generated voices to augment it) called 'Faux Voix.'

I've been experimenting a lot with what I call extended vocal
techniques..............some that I've learned and some that
I think I've invented.............     trill singing, warble singing,
chest
manipulated falsetto comb filtering, hum whistling,
whistle humming,   different kinds of overtone manipulation and then the
use
of physical props to change the
timbre of my voice like singing through corrugated tubing that has
variable
length manipulations (medical tubing that
can collapse or elongate),  singing into different sizes of vessels to
activate over resonation of the voice
and then I've been working a lot on faux industrial and faux synthesizer
drum sounds as well as faux ethnic percussion
sounds in my beatboxing.         I performed a 15 minute acapella/live
looping performance at the Kobe Underground Festival
in Japan last summer.

http://www.looppool.info/fauxvoix.html

*****************
I also produced a show called the Festival of Voice and Electronics where
10
singers gave 15 minute acapella
performances from radically different genres (opera,  pop,  tuvan overtone
singing,  beatboxing, death metal, avant garde and classical styles)
whilst
being processed from one to three live looping artists.

That show resulted in a two day show that Matt Davignon put on in San
Francisco and Oakland a year or so later
called the Two Day Voice and Electronics Thingee.

This show resulted in the creation of the Voice and Electronics tribe at
www.tribe.net
Please come join us there:    http://electronicvoice.tribe.net/     It's
free to join and they don't spam your email address.