Vedr. Re: lap top sync with the hardware looper

Hi and thanks !

You guys are a head of me. I am just a novise in this game. I thought I just could set the repeater in the same bmp as the ableton groove and everything would be ok. I havent tryied midi jet. This is new to me. Maybe for the time being it would be enough with the beat detect-thing, and as you say, give it a re-tap once.

But is it difficult to slave the repeater to my pc with ableton and m-adio ozone workstation ?

best regards of Rune

Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com> skrev:
On Jul 5, 2006, at 17:10, rune fagereng wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I am make songs on my lap top and the repeater. Beats, basslines on
> the laptop and soundscapes in sync and without sync on the
> repeater. But still if my beats on the pc are in 90 bpm and my
> repeater the same, they seam to, over some time, to loose the sync.
>
> I wander, do the proffs use midisync live ?

Hi Rune,

I didn't understand if you sync the laptop or the Repeater, but I can
tell you that when I had a Repeater I liked to sync that machine all
the time. Sometimes an EDP was providing a MIDI Clock signal and
sometimes a computer was the master - but the Repeater was always my
sync slave and it did very well.

But maybe my good experience with the Repeater comes from the fact
that I play everything live? I mean, if the Repeater really was
"slow" or "fast" I had no problem with that because I was listening
and playing in time what was being looped on the repeater. Quite
often a musical theme, looped into the Repeater, did not start where
the (Repeater) loop started. This became obvious when I went "Next
Loop" on the Repeater, but it didn't hurt the music much IMHO. And of
course, the Repeater doesn't sync correctly during the time-stretch
phase when you change master tempo (like, I use to go HalfSpeed on
the EDP which will change the tempo to half as fast). But personally
I think that sounds cool and I like it as a musical effect - the
Repeater does after all catch up and lock into the new tempo in one
or two seconds. I also tried the Beat Sync of the Repeater and it
worked fine, although you have to help it out now and then by tapping
the tempo (not all music have that four-on-the-floor 909 kick ;-)

So much syncing the Repeater. If you do it the other way - i.e.
syncing the laptop - I have no tips, because this comes down to what
software application you are running.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)