Re: loop quantization question

On Jul 7, 2006, at 7:01 AM, aaron leese wrote:
 > I just find it hard to believe nobody would have thought to make a
 > phrase sampler that allows for longer and shorter syncronized loops.
 > Notice that Kid Beyond has Ableton rigged up to do it (I think .. it
 > could just be some tricky editing .. or a short enough clip that you
 > dont notice the loops becoming undone)... but other than that .... I
 > haven't seen it anywhere.

You haven't looked very hard.

You've been able to create parallel loops of different lengths using
several synchronized hardware devices for years.  Go research "brother
sync" on the EDP.  You have been able to do it on the Looperlative
since it became available in January.  You can do it with any hardware
loopers that support MIDI sync.

Go download Mobius, www.zonemobius.com.  It does everything Flylooper
does, except maybe "scratch",  plus about a thousand other things.
So does SooperLooper.  Brew a pot of coffee and read the Max/MSP
manual, people have been using it for synchronized loops for many years.

There are probably others, I don't pay much attention to products
that don't
specifically bill themselves as "loopers" but there may be more "DJ"
oriented
programs that are more focused on recording and triggering clips than
doing heavy mutation of the loops like most loopers allow.

In Mobius, there are a variety of ways it can accomplish "longer and
shorter synchronized loops".

1) Track Sync

The start and end points of a track recording can be quantized
to a division of the master loop.  The divisions include:

      loop - the full loop
      cycle - a subdivision of the loop, created when you multiply
      subcycle - a subdivision of the cycle, specified by the user,
       it can be any positive integer divisor

So in the really simple case, set TrackSync to Loop.  Record
a loop in track one, it becomes the master track.  Move to track
two, press Record.  The start of the recording will be delayed
until the master track reaches its start point.  Record as long as
you want, the end of the recording will also be quantized to the
start point of the master track, allowing you to create any multiple
of the master track.

Using Cycle and SubCycle you can create synchronized tracks that are
shorter than the master track.  Either exact divisions, or partial
divisions that will go out of phase but eventually return.

2) MIDI Sync

Fire up a drum machine or sequencer and send MIDI clocks into Mobius.
Using various sync modes that are to complicated to describe here,
you can quantize the start/stop of any recording to a MIDI beat (24
clocks)
or "bar" which is a user definable number of beats.

3) VST Host Sync

Similar to MIDI sync, but it gets the beat & bar locations from the
VST host, such as Ableton Live, Audio Mulch, etc.

4) Track Copy Timing

There are several methods to create an empty track whose length is
identical to another track.  You can then begin overdubbing into the
new track using a function called "multiply" to create one or more
multiplies of the original size.  There are also "instant multiply"
functions that will immediately make the track 2, 3, or 4 times as long.

To make the new track shorter, there are techniques to splice out
a section of the track at precise quantization boundaries.

5) Bounce Recording

Oh, I'm running out of steam.  You can read about it if you want.
It can accomplish something similar to Track Sync.

5) Scripts

All loop manipulation functions can be performed in user written
scripts.  Functions may be performed at specific times with
sample accuracy.  Very complex copies, multiplications, divisions,
can be implemented and performed instantly with one button press.

 > I also got a patent ... and
 > I want to make sure I don't run into the "prior art" argument .....
 > i.e. someone has a patent for that already.

Really, can you be more specific about what you think it is you
"invented"?

Jeff