Re: what kind of gear setups to you guys use ?

Hi Rune,
if it can help, here is my latest setup and a brief intro:

After one year of analysis before switching my "hardware-just" setup to
a hw/sw one, the following set up is what I consider the best solution
combining
my hardware and a light software for real time processing, looping and
routing
control.

Eventide Orville
Tc Electronic Fireworx
Boss Vf1
Rme FF800 ( will be substituted by a FF400)
Rolls Midiwizard foot controller with 5 continous pedals
Doepfer controlfader ( 16 midi faders)
Laptop

The sw application in which all midi/audio routing and Mobius hosting
happen is Usine.

Audio input enters via Fireface inputs 1/2 ( 1 for mic, 2 for gtr).
All the hardware effectors are connected via analog or digital
connections to the Fireface ( in and out).
The input is split to the 4 ( Orville is a double stereo processor)
stereo outputs that go into the respective hardware processors.
Their outputs come back to the Fireface inputs.
Fireface sends a mixed master output from channels 9/10 ( potentially
you could get crazy with multichannel settings here !)
There is no dry signal going to master out.
I have the chance to "feed" any single processor using 4 of the
continous controllers for parallel processing.
Mobius is on an "aux track".
I have set ( not yet honestly, but I will do it tomorrow) things so that:
There is a crossing midi control that shifts the Fireworx from being
processing the main input or Mobius output ( one single control to
avoid feedbacks).
I can send the Vf1 out to feed Orville second processor ( default
setup) or keeping them separate, each one fed by main input.
Other midi controls are used for single processors outputs and to
control their espective algorithm parameters.

This is what I was looking for.
The widest control over signal flow and a good user interface, to
allow live use be musical and not scientifical.

In this way I am using an audio interface and a laptop instead of two
echoplexes ( and still feeling having not enough) and a Sound Sculpture
Switchblade
router/splitter, great but: 1) analog, 2) not deep as a sw matrix).
I've sold my echoplexes and my Switchblade is on sale now.

Now,
this set up is under test of reliability ( knock on wood).

best,
luca