RE: optimizing guitar signal through stomp boxes

I'm sure that all of the advice about the paralleism is good, and I don't
have the time to investigate what all of those boxes are (and, really, are
*all* of them necessary?), but here are a couple of general principles.
Please, anyone chime in and correct me if I'm misguided about these:

1. Delays, choruses and other time-modulation effects generally belong at
the end of the signal chain, right before the amp, in my opinion (just
think
about adding distortion post-delay - generally, it can only produce a mess.
Pre-amps are in the same category as distortions).

2. More importantly, the output of each unit should be as loud as possible
without overloading the input of the next item in the chain (there are
probably exceptions to this). You can test for this by building the chain
up
one unit at a time, from start to end, optimizing the level each time.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Warren Sirota