Re: Coffeehouse Guitar vs street-busker

I think anything you say about how any type of music affects you
emotionally
or intellectually is valid and undisputable, provided you say what you
feel
and not make it sound like an externally orientated statement that applies
to everyone.  It's sacred ground. It's not even open for debate because
your
own feelings are your own and no one else's. But once we start assuming
how
music affects other listeners then we are attempting to second guess the
contents of a black box, viz., the minds and hearts of other people.

So to say that one observes a performer reaching an audience sort of
describes an impossible situation, because we don't observe the minds and
feelings of people (only infer them from behavior), and quite frequently
people admit that their behavior (which we can observe) does not always
correspond 1-to-1 with emotional and thought.  This is why cognitive
psychology is not hard science and relies on models rather than direct
observation of their object of study. Hard core behaviorists, on the other
hand, deny the existence of mind, and directly observe their objects of
study.

When I hear something that totally grabs me, I can never assume that it
does
the same for someone else. That event is a private affair.  And this is
why
we see so many arguments online that go no where and don't get resolved,
because one person is describing their private affair, and another their
own
private affair, yet both are stated as something public or generic, which
is
taken negatively by the other person.

Half the time, when I see people argue online here on this list, if they
communicated their thoughts and feelings accurately from the outset, they
would discover that there was nothing to argue about. I fall back to our
dear German linguistic/analytic philosopher Wittgenstein's view on the
matter, which is there are no arguments, only language games. Once people
define their terms up front and express themselves accurately, there is
nothing left to dispute, because they realize that they are disputing
apples
and oranges. I've always loved that reflection on disputes.

Kris