RE: Re: Hexaphonic guitar (was: single coil & hum (was EH2880 on video)

Title: RE: Re: Hexaphonic guitar (was: single coil & hum (was EH2880 on video)

>>i've always wanted to try a pickup-per-string experiment, i wonder if those atlansia guitars/basses can be rigged with a cheap pickup-per-string attempt, with those cool little individual pickups they have :)<<

never seen those, though it's occurred to me to use a roland gk pickup like this.... the little adaptor that they come with contains a number of op-amps to boost the signal from each of the six coils, besides the midi switchgear, suggesting that the individual coils have quite a low output. this boosted signal then finds it's way down the 14-way (? haven't looked in a while) cable to the GI-10 or w.h.y., where it gets tracked for pitch & velocity & turned into midi, about half-an-hour later.....

the reason for my interest is that I have a fender VI (the oriental reissue) from which I want to get a clean sound on the bottom two or three strings & a more guitary distorted sound from the top strings. I deconstructed a gk2 & went some way towards this, but the project was interrupted by the arrival of a peavey midibase (sic), which coincidentally also has individual pickups in it's bridge to determine the velocity data.

I need to revisit the VI soon.... :-)

in their normal positions, these pickups would be of limited use for amplified guitar string sounds- they're put near the ends of the strings so that they don't pick up vibrations from adjacent strings as these flap about after being plucked, & also so that they pick up the bare minimum of harmonic content, thus aiding pitch extraction. if a bit of crosstalk wasn't a problem, then a gk2 would work as a polyphonic pickup further "into" the string's length, but one would probably still have to hack the GI-10 (or whatever) to extract the six boosted signals.

I daresay a regular roland guitar synth module (GR-100 &c) could be hacked in the same way without ruining it.

there have been some other peavey basses, & at least one hamer bass, with "quad" outputs. tom petersen's original 12 string hamer bass, for instance, is pictured with a mini four-way mixer on board &, I think, a bunch of dimarzios installed sideways. I expect there must be some guitars out there with individual outputs too.

d.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.If you have received this e-mail in error,
please e-mail the sender by replying to this message.

It is your responsibility to carry out appropriate virus and other
checks to ensure that this message and any attachments do not
affect your systems / data. Any views or opinions expressed in this
e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of MTV Networks Europe unless specifically stated,
nor does this message form any part of any contract unless so stated.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe