Re: Coffeehouse Guitar vs street-busker

Good story. I've always hated it when people ask that question about the
falling tree, because the answer seems obvious to me depending on what you
agree as the definition of sound. If you define sound as fluctuations of
air
pressure, then of course the tree makes a sound when no one is
there...because in science and realism (the metaphysical theory that
supports modern scientific thinking), humans don't have to be around for
there to be physical changes in the environment. But if you define sound
as
humann perception, then of course there is no sound if one there to hear
it.
It is one of those questions whose answer is either intuitively obvious or
obviously false depending on the semantics.

I'll check out that neo-Platonist movement writing...though I am typically
very suspicious of anything based on Plato's work, who is for all
practical
purposes anti-science and art in terms of the implications of his works.
Plato thought very lowly of most artists and musicians, and his metaphysic
contains a great distain for empirical data as a basis for knowledge. He
comes directly from the line of pre-Socratic Greek philosophers called
Eliatics (mystics, mathematicians, and idealists), who were in direct
opposition to the Ionians (pre-scientists who based their view points on
empirical data and experimentation).

Kris