DL-4 exp pedal mod?

OK, after using the flimsy EX1 exp pedal for over a year, it is creaking
loudly when I step on it- I don't think it was ever intended to be used
outside of the house.
I know it uses a 10k pot for controlling a DL-4, but I want a more robust
pedal. I have an Ernie Ball volume pedal with a 250k pot, but obviously it
is too large a value for the DL-4. Erine's pedals do not allow the
switching
of the custom pots, and this thing has just been sitting here for over a
year.
Has anyone ever taken a DL-4 apart and looked at what regulates the pot
size
for the exp pedal?  Is there any mods to the DL4 (it is way past warranty)
that will allow it to work with a standard 250k volume pedal?

Dave Eichenberger
http://www.hazardfactor.com