Mac, Rax, Augustus Loop (was: Re: Sample sound clip from my notebook computer system)

On 25 jul 2006, at 00.26, Tony Douglas wrote:

> So what I'm using is an ancient 266MHz Wallstreet
> Powerbook running Jaguar, with Rax and multiple
> instances of Augustus Loop.

Rax and Augutstus Loop seems to be a good combo for "multi track"
stereo looping. If you like to loop EDP-style, by setting the tempo
by the first loop you record, you can use one Augustus Looper as the
master to define the tempo for all other Agustus Loopers. In this
context you may set Rax to "external sync", so any plug-ins you open
will run in the same tempo as you are playing in. You can also type
in the tempo in Rax and adapt your playing to that. I can't find any
Tap Tempo function in Rax.

If you want to be a little more advanced you can use the combo
Ableton Live and Augustus Loop. This has always been very stable for
me on my Powerbook and thanks to Live's routing option - for MIDI,
Audio and direct control data - it gives a small taste of "Max
Land" (Cycling74's Max).

I have a G4 Powerbook of 1.25 MHz with 2 GB ram. This machine may
typically handle three parallel stereo looping channels plus some
reverb and other effect plug-ins. I wouldn't dare to bog it down more
than that. But it's ok with me, I don't think I would be able to
handle more than three simultaneous looping processes anyway.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)