Staying on the Looping topic

At 01:25 PM 7/26/2006, loop.pool wrote:
>I find myself in agreement  with Steve Lawson (and many other old timers
>who post here) that in earlier days the list was more pithy and
>interesting to read because there wasn't so much chatter and there were
>more substantive subjects.

This is a problem I've also noticed getting worse in the last couple
years.
Off topic posting has gotten really bad lately. Sometimes there are dozens
of messages posted to the list in a day, and none of them are about
looping. Some individuals post constantly, yet almost never post about
looping at all.

Please remember, Looper's Delight exists to discuss, teach, promote, and
communicate about looping. That is why everybody is here. Looping is what
we should be posting about. This list is not here to discuss computer
problems, or favorite VST effects, or DAW recommendations, or hex guitar
pickups, or etc. (just to pick on a few random, recent off-topics.)

If you are making a post and it is not explicitly about looping, you
should
really ask yourself 3 or 4 times before you send it: why you are about to
waste hundreds of people's time with an off-topic post? Is this worth
using
up list bandwidth, taking up space in the digest, and storing in the
archive forever?

Just because you think this is an interesting group of people, or you
think
someone here might know the answer to your random question, isn't a good
enough reason. Neither is excusing it by telling other people to delete if
they don't want to read your off-topic post. Find a more appropriate place
for that post.

Partly I blame myself for this, because I haven't been participating here
much lately. I used to make an effort to start interesting threads about
looping when people wandered off-topic, to redirect the group's energy
back
towards looping again. This is pretty easy and works remarkably well. I
appreciate some of the other list "veterans" who do this also. But even
nicer would be people taking more responsibility for their own actions and
behavior in this community, and keeping yourselves on topic.

When the discussion really does stick to good looping threads, the really
interesting list members come out of the woodwork to contribute their
thoughts. Some of those "famous" loopers hang around more also. That's the
way it used to be here, and with a little effort it will continue to be
like that.

kim