Re: Staying on the Looping topic

At 6:53 PM -0700 7/26/06, Kim Flint wrote:
>At 01:25 PM 7/26/2006, loop.pool wrote:
>>I find myself in agreement  with Steve Lawson (and many other old
>>timers who post here) that in earlier days the list was more pithy
>>and interesting to read because there wasn't so much chatter and
>>there were more substantive subjects.
>
>This is a problem I've also noticed getting worse in the last couple
>years. Off topic posting has gotten really bad lately. Sometimes
>there are dozens of messages posted to the list in a day, and none
>of them are about looping. Some individuals post constantly, yet
>almost never post about looping at all.

Kim, perhaps to some extent, the list is subject to being 'victim of
its own success'?  I mean, I'm not certain what you originally
envisioned when you first started it, but it has without a doubt
grown a huge deal (in every direction) from its humble origins.

This list, as it now stands, is a haven for some of the most exciting
and generous polymaths which I know of on the Net.  I, for one, am
constantly informed and entertained by even the most mundane of topic
drift which occurs here.  Of course, I can also understand the need
to maintain focus, and apologize for my part in any conversations
that have gone sideways from the list's core mission.

Even though it's completely astray from the list's central purpose, I
also hate to lose the community's willingness to share information on
whatever subject is at hand.  So, I wanted to suggest that perhaps
you might consider "splitting" the list in two -- the original list,
of course, plus a secondary "off topic" list where LD members could
openly use each other as resources regardless of subject matter.  The
core LD list would then be freed up to focus solely on those topics
directly related to Looping.  The OT list could handle questions on
peripherals like DAW's, VST's and effects, general philosophy,
whatever...

Regardless, it's your list and I'll be do my best to abide by your
rules.  I was just looking for a creative alternative to keep things
here on track, while still enabling the informative chatter here as
well.

        --m.
--
_______
"Now Simulcast on Crazy People's Fillings"