Re: Staying on the Looping topic [OT] :-)

On 27 jul 2006, at 10.31, a k butler wrote:

> How about an agreement to put [OT] in the subject line for off
> topic posts?
> Then it would be easy to filter messages into a couple of different
> folders.
>
> Is that practical?

On the Logic-Users list we've decided to make a whole new OT List! I
attended that list when it had 500 members and today it's 15000
something. For a while we had five or six different prefixes that
users were supposed to write first on the subject line, and it
actually worked out well. Ex: All users that had a Windows PC set
their mail app's to auto delete the "LAM" (M for Macintosh) and those
who used an Apple box had the "LAW" auto deleted (W for Windows). A
couple of moderators are always cleaning up the huge input before
posts appear on the list.

In a way I think the charm of this LD list is that we are not
moderated, but an "OT" prefix would be nice IMHO. I think we should
also make an effort to put adequate subject lines on our posts. And
maybe we should try to assemble more of our thoughts in fewer, but
longer and more refined, posts? In order to do that you would need to
resist that immediate urge to dive at the send button whenever
something pops up, until you have sorted your thoughts into a better
write-up ;-)

Please don't apply chatroom manners to this mailing list. Maybe
Loopers Delight can open a real chat room?

per