Re: Staying on the Looping topic

Personally (and I realize that I'm a young'un here (if nowhere else),
I'd subscribed for a year or so, then two years off, now I've been back
a week and already I'm in the top ten frequent posters list, ack!!) I'm
of two minds about the discussion on discussion.

1). This is a looping list, no bones about it. This should be a place
for looping talk only, so people know what they're getting when they
subscribe, and the archives stay full of information dedicated to this
one wonderful thing. There's power in a focus.
2). This is a community, with looping as the draw and the common bond.
It's an extremely unique community, being full of people who are
generally familiar and/or friendly with technology, and generally
familiar with and/or interested in new and unusual music. It also seems
unique in that I get the impression that most members are out of their
teens and have years of experience to draw from. Hence the discussions
and perspectives tend to be very well-informed and interesting, which is
not typical for a list group, and everyone can benefit at some time or
another from wide-ranging discussions.

I see the appeal of both ways of viewing the list. I may be a bit
selfish in that this is the only listgroup I'm a part of, so I enjoy
participating in whatever topics are being discussed, looping or not.
But on the other hand, I wish to respect Kim's vision (and work and
bandwidth).

I really like the suggestion/reminder a few days ago to take discussions
off-list as soon as they turn into one-on-one Q & A sessions. And it's
never a bad idea to think a few times before posting, regardless of what
it's about (looping or not). I think this could improve the volume of
chatter/quality of content ratio in general.

I'll shut up for awhile now. :-)

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com