"getting away with" glitches

On 27 Jul 2006 at 23:52, tEd ® kiLLiAn wrote:

>  It's a fun challenge to make someting "artful"
> and "satifying" out of the haphazard glitches that human error
> (especially my human error) induces and produces.

Absolutely. I remember about 15 years ago I was recording a
soundscape that seemed to be going well until my 3 year old daughter
helped me by adding some "un-volumed" notes. Cursing fluently, I
carried on to a conclusion. As I listened back, dreading the moment,
it sounded perfectly in context and actually brought some life to the
piece.

I still have similar moments, especially when using the guitar synth.
Many of my patches have a slow attack, so I don't need to juggle with
the volume control, but there's also a bank of kotos, banjos & so
forth. What a joyful moment when with a misplaced tap of the toe, a
loud mini-moog bass note rings out over a contemplative section! As
Ted says, the fun is then to "make it work".

In many ways, looping is the perfect example of the motto "if you
play a bum note, play it again and pretend it's jazz".

All the best,

Nick Robinson