Re: how do you correct a bad loop on stage, etc

On 28 jul 2006, at 16.03, Krispen Hartung wrote:

> Interesting side topic from this...I have yet to experience my
> laptop or VST host crash during a performance.

I've never crashed my laptop either, but I'm doing all kind of stupid
mistakes. Especially at concerts when I tend to take more chances.
Two days ago this happened to me at a festival for experimental
electronic music gig. I was playing in a crypt-like room with a
surround audio system provided by Ambiunix in Denmark and the sound
in there was very intimate - audience pretty close up on me, speakers
all around as well above in the ceiling. I had a nice thing going
with seven simultaneous loops (of effect treated sax playing) and
suddenly I changed my mind about where to go and decided to delete
the latest loop with the delete button (on my laptop, using Mobius)
instead of letting it go out by feedback, as I normally do. The
problem was that the "body memory" of my right index finger was all
used to the "delete all" actions (that I do between songs), which is
a double-type on that button while the "delete track only" was a
single type-down finger hammer-on on the same computer keyboard
button. So of course my finger did the double type-dance and in the
heat of the creative flow the complete surround PA audio went dead
silent. Ooops. I started to play melodies freeley on the next
sixteenth note while thinking about what to do - and after some four
"solo break-down" (as I was hoping the audience was taking it) I
kicked "Record" and ended it by Half-Speed. The free melody then
became a repeating bass line under my soloing and I could proceed
just like if it was meant to be so. This time I rushed to build up a
new song structure much faster to not bore the listeners, but I
forgot one chord so the chord structure became different than it had
been before the "accidental solo break-down and re-build-up ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)