Re: process Vs product

Title:

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2006 3:53 PM
Subject: Re: process Vs product

----- Original Message -----

> Even with jazz, studios are booked for a pre-arranged time and you have to fit that creativity in on demand.

With "most" modern jazz that is....you mean that, right?  There are still jazzers who record live in the studio. And of course in the olden days, this is how all of them did it...when you heard an album, it was an actual "record" of an event, not a paste together collage of parts.

No. I mean even in the olden days they had to fit that creativity in on demand.

> Of course painter DO have to complete comissions according to a time scedule. "'Twas ever thus" as the bard would say. When I wrote music for a living I had very tight schedules but found that I always found my muse on time. and when we perform live we have a pre-defined slot in which to pull the musical rabbit out of the bag.

Well, you admit that some painters don't have to do this, right?  You were generalizing, I suspect...I hope. There are artists out there who don't actually have to produce art for a living, and have the luxury of doing what they want and when they want to do it.

Yes. I was talking about the majority of professional painters who do not earn massive amounts of money per comission.

Gareth

Does anyone actually go into the studio with the intent of recording all the songs for a looping CD? This would feel very restrictive and unnatural to me, like trying to force art into a bottle, or like telling a painter he has to go into a room and complete a great painting in 6 hours.