Re: process Vs product

On 31 jul 2006, at 17.58, Krispen Hartung wrote:

> All the craft in the studio with cutting and pasting, aligning
> vocal tracks to they start at the same time, end at the same time,
> pitch correction, punching in and out....it is all amusing to me,
> but doesn't impress me from an artistic standpoint. That seems like
> more of a craft to me.

I doubt any audio/music refinement studio technique are used for
impressing listeners ;-), but I must say I enjoy the resulting music
as much as I enjoy the "hands-on jazz player" craft. I regard modern
studio music production as an art form in its own right (to me it
kind of equals "tweaking effect boxes"). I like to produce with those
tools myself, but I wouldn't confuse it with the improvisational
performance of music. In my book these two crafts are complementary
and although they bleed over a bit both methods will let the musician
(yes, I regard the studio as an instrument as well) do tricks that
would not be possible with the other context.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)