Re: AW: coping with latency when using acoustic instruments

On 6 aug 2006, at 17.46, Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill wrote:

> I was thinking more of some way of tricky training or "way of
> thinking" or
> whatever that helps you not to listen to the sound of your own
> voice, only
> what you hear from the mains/monitors. Unfortunately, the human
> brain uses
> the timing information of the first signal, not of the loudest
> signal for
> deciding when we hear something, so to overcome this, I'd have to
> listen to
> the mains/monitors at deafening levels, which I do not want to do.

Hi Rainer,

It's an old discipline among musicians to learn to play before or
after the general beat. It's regarded as "a pro skill" because it's
definitely not fun for the player, only for the listening
audience ;-))  In the symphonic orchestra, for example, some
instruments (like the trumpet) are target directly at the listeners
while other instruments may be targeted towards the rear ceiling for
a more diffused sound. These two instruments can not be played with
the same general timing to be heard in time by the audience.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)