EDP ignorance

Todd Howell wrote:
 "I am an occasional poster who has recently been blessed with an EDP
Plus.
In fiddling with it, I've managed to put it into a mode where it'll play
the
loop perhaps four times while slowly fading out to silence. What function
have I managed to activate and how do I get it back to "normal" function?
have read alot of the manual but can't seem to understand alot of the
terminology that would help me to solve this. I am sure that it is
something
simple and I am too dense to suss it out."

Three pieces of gratuitous advice about this problem and how to solve it:

1) Your feedback knob on the front panel is turned down.
At 100%  (full up)  the loop will repeat forever without losing volume.

set it to different lesser settings to achieve a layered approach in your
looping (the loops will fade out after a set number of repititions)
(listen to the CDs of Matthias Grob, the original inventor of this amazing
instrument)

2) Work with your EDP until you have several things that you have
questions
about and then arrange
to take a paid online tutorial from one of the true masters of the unit,
Andre LaFosse.

Andre has put thousands of hours into this instrument and is a good
teacher
of an instrument that, in my humble opinion, has
a fairly confusing manual (in terms of having musical effects that it can
create explained).

by the same token,   purchase one of Andre's CDs to hear just some of the
enormous power this unit has.
They are available through  http://www.altruistmusic.com/

Also,   check out his wonderful echoplex analysis pages (subtitled: inside
the craft of real-time looping).
this link is a little ways down on the right hand side of his homepage

3) Come to Santa Cruz, if it's possible,  on October 21st and 22nd, to
hear
some of the world's top looping artists
(tentatively 54 of them are coming as of now from 7 countries and all over
the US) at
the Y2K6 International Live Looping Festival.   You'll leave with dozens
of
stimulating ideas about how to get
deeper into the world of live looping for yourself.

Good luck with everything.   It's a deep instrument and a wonderful one.

yours,
Rick Walker  aka |()()p.p()()|
www.looppool.info