Re: latency discussions

On 14 aug 2006, at 16.51, Daryl Shawn wrote:

> I'd be very curious in knowing the latencies of various popular
> hardware effects boxes - the Pod, Fireworx, Vortex, (hell, the EDP),

I'm not taking time off to perform clinic tests, measuring
milliseconds etc, but according to my ears the my Pod (line-6 model
1) is pretty bad (much slower than a tube amp, kind of "tube amp plus
two, three meters distance). The Fireworx is no recognizable latency
at all, and that excellent feel goes for the EDP as well. That were
the devices I own and use here. Can't tell about the Vortex.

A final word on the TC Electronic FirewoX:
If you program patches that make use of an external output/insert
loop the latency involved makes it totally useless. Good to know for
anyone that plans to get one because of that feature.

This built-in insert option works like this: If you use the analog in/
out-puts you are free to create patches with "virtual send/receive
jack" blocks that use the digital in/out-puts. Vice versa if you are
using the digital in/out-puts; then you can program insert loops for
the analog in/out-puts. But, as stated, the audio is way too much
delayed when sent out to the connected gear and it comes back way too
late, creating a kind of slap delay effect.

On the other hand, playing into the Fireworx though the analog input
directly results in perfectly synced audio going out the analog and
digital ports, with no appeared latency at all. With my recent
looping rig I play into the Fireworx and use a digital ADAT optical
cable to bring the audio into the laptop digitally. That trick
increases the experienced audio fidelity a lot, compared to having
the audio go D/A from the Fireworx and then another A/D upon arrival
into the laptop.

I have also hooked up the Fireworx digitally in both directions to
Logic and used it as a "virtual software plugin". No latency
experienced then either.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)