Re: Looping vocals

Neil asked
"Does anyone know of a way I can gain up a mic signal, without colouring
the
tone?"

I do a lot of vocalizing in my performances and I use two DL-4s in series
on
the ground
(a Looperlative, EDP and  a Repeater in my rack).

I have found that the DL4 really wants some preamplification of a
microphone
so I either use an AKG C1000S   in the INSERT channel of my Mackie 1402VLZ
or 1604VLZ board  or if I'm doing a show with just stomp box pedals and no
rack
(when I'm sitting in with a band usually)   I will use an inexpensive ART
tube preamp
to get the signal up.

If you want really high fidelity,  you will probably need to save your
bucks
and buy a Looperlative
or get a pricey software based laptop solution.   The DL-4 is good but not
incredibly high quality.

I'll tell you though,   I've seen Radioactive from Spearhead use two DL-4s
and just blow
people's minds with them.   I never once thought about the fidelity of the
voice
and he was just using a Shure Beta 58 with his (and I think straight into
it).

Good luck.

Rick Walker

ps if you like looping and vocals, you
might enjoy my CD 'Faux Voix' which
is all acapella/live looped/processed vocals
with some experiments in text to voice editor
software designed for computer accessibility
for blind people.   All voice or fake voice.
It's available at www.looppool.info