Re: More mixer: Mackie Onyx or...?

I don't own one, but I have worked with them a bunch. A client whom I help
with computer work has one, and the sound company I work for part time
uses them for their small systems. They are GREAT sounding mixers! I
borrow one occaisionally when recording drums at the studio and I need
extra preamps, the pre's are very clean, off lots of gain, and don't have
the harshness of the old Mackie VLZ's, these are great sound for the
price. The EQ is also very nice and useable, and, as always with Mackie
mixers, the routing options are very useful and adaptable to many
different situations. I haven't used the stereo sends, can't speak to that
aspect of what you need, but in general, you can easily get whatever
signal you need wherever you need it.

My client attempted to use the firewire option as his main interface to
his computer, since he got the firewire option thrown in on the deal when
he bought it. It was pretty unstable and we eventually gave up and bought
a MOTU interface. It's also kind of large, not a really convenient size as
a portable mixer.

In general, I think they're great mixers.