Re: keeping loops interesting

I have to say I was really taken aback when I first heard the phrase
"fractal music". My first inclination was that is was a trendy "catch
phrase" misapplication of concept as it originated in visual fields, only
because I was construing a true fractal pattern as one that is holographic
(refer to "The Holographic Universe" and the article "The Source of
Fractals")....but I learned that this is an extreme application of the
concept and now fractals have blossomed into something not so rigidly in
adherence to the holographic plate example, where not only does the shape
appear similar at all levels of magnification, but appears "exact".   And
confirmed this with the entry on fractals at Wikipedia: Fractals, below.
We
are talking similar and not exact. And we are introducing a degree of
subjectivity as well, in perception.
"In colloquial usage, a fractal is a shape that is recursively constructed
or self-similar, that is, a shape that appears similar at all scales of
magnification and is therefore often referred to as "infinitely complex."
Mathematicians avoid giving the strict definition and prefer to call
'fractal a geometric object that usually

  a.. has fine structure at each scale and can not be easily described in
traditional Euclidean geometry language.
  b.. is self-similar (at least approximatively or stochastically)
  c.. has Hausdorff dimension greater than its topological dimension
  d.. has a simple and recursive definition
  e.. has natural appearance."
But I am still at loss how this applies to music. Are folks saying that
you
create a piece of music where the pattern as a whole can be found repeated
in a similar way inside that overall pattern?  I need a more concrete
example of this. Rhythmically, perhaps, I can understand this better, but
not actual notation. I'm trying to imagine a melodic pattern that repeats
within itself, or even in a similar fashion....nothing is comeing to mind,
but I'm a bit tired right now.

Kris