Re: fractal loops (was: keeping loops interesting)

Okay, I understand the sequence of actions here, but I still don't see how
this makes the music fractal.. How is the whole piece depicted in a
similar
way within itself?  Where is this recursive similarity?  I should be able
examine the whole piece as a pattern and see this pattern repeated in a
"similar" fashion inside itself.  Remember, the extreme or ideal example
her
is that of a holographic plate, where you can break it in half and see the
original images preserved, and so on, etc.  I don't think playing rootless
chords counts, as that would make every single jazz piano part I've heard
fractal (as they tend to drop their roots and fifths).  So I'm still not
clear on what makes a piece of fractal music "fractal" in the way that the
innovators of fractal images defined it.

I'm trying to think to myself of an example here.  I suppose if a piece of
music has four movements, and each of those four movements has four
components, that is sort of a similar pattern repeating in the parts of a
whole...but that seems like a stretch just to call the piece "fractal", as
this would be based purely on a simple similarity between quantity of
movements and components within those movements. And we're not even taking
actual musical notes here.  Now, in your example below, Rainer, if you had
looped a melody with only C, Ab, D, and G, and then you looped chords over
that melody, using only those four notes, but interpreting them
differently
based on what is the "implied" tonic, then that in a way is seeing a
similar
pattern inside a larger holistic pattern...but, I still think this is a
stretch....a BIG stretch, because the pattern is merely the recurrence of
notes used in the whole melody, inside the chords.  When the piece is
done,
there is no real pattern of a whole repeated in its parts, because the
whole
song becomes the "whole".  Then if we look inside that whole, what is
repeated in a similar fashion? So, I don't think this is a good example
either. The four movement / four component within each movement stands to
be
a better, albeit weak example.

Call me a skeptic or a pain in the ass (whichever you prefer), or call me
dense because I am overlooking the obvious here, but aside from the
trendiness of calling a piece of music fractal because it is based on
mathematical manipulation of notes, can someone provide another example
that
illustrates the concept of recursive similarity?

Kris