Re: AW: fractal loops (was: keeping loops interesting)

Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill wrote:
>>No, I don't think Rainer's examples are fractal either.
>

> And you're right about that. It's not fractal, and Kris' example with the
> eight tracks of mobius is not fractal, either.

I work with fractals a bit in my day job.  One way to look at them is to
consider that you can generate them by repeated rescale/replace cycles.
It's pretty obvious how to use this rhythmically--generate e.g. a drum
pattern, make a sped-up copy of the pattern, and replace each note of
the original one with one of the sped-up copies.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

You could make things even "fractaler" by applying the same method to
pitch, if you don't mind jettisoning the twelve-note-per-octave
chromatic scale. Play a chord.  Pick one note as the root.  Note the
ratios of the frequencies of all the other notes to that of the root.
Scale the ratios by a number much less than one, generating a new
"chord" whose pitches are likely much closer together than a half step.
Replace each note in the original chord with a copy of the "chord,"
pitch-shifted to the original root. Repeat until traumatized.

Something like this would be much easier to do with, say, csound than in
real time with with a fretted instrument. And, like a lot of other
applications of mathematics to music, I'm guessing that in practice this
is a lot less musically useful than it sounds.

Brian