Re: fractal music (was Re: keeping loops interesting)

Here's a trivial example, Kris (I say trivial, because it uses only four pitches and is a relatively short loop; pitches were chosen for simplicity not for aesthetic beauty):

let's take the melody:

C D E E F# D F# F# D F# E E D

If every pitch given is the same duration (let's say 8th note), then this loop is 13 8th-notes long. So, let's say we record this loop on an EDP or Mobius (or any other looper that allows us to multiply). If we start multiply and play this loop at 1/5 the original speed, we will still be in unison with the original loop. Likewise, if we play this loop at 1/8 the original speed while in multiply, we will also remain in unison every time we play a new note. It follows, too, that you could have one loop running at full speed, one running at 1/5 speed (rhythmically, not literally as in time-stretch), and one running at 1/8 speed, all simultaneously, and everytime they change notes, they will be unison with the other changing voice(s).

This is a self-similar melody. I'll concede that it's not a particularly interesting melody, but it is self-similar. At multiple levels.

I created this example using methods outlined by Tom Johnson, a composer who seems to do a lot of work with IRCAM. His website is: http://tom.johnson.org/ and his book titled "Self-Similar Melodies" is a very interesting read. If you're at all interested in the application of recursive processes in music, get that book. It's not for everyone, but there are lots of great ideas that can be used in a myriad of ways.

Cheers,

Jon Southwood