Re: Short loop fades more quickly than long loop with same feedback setting

From: Warren Sirota
 > I guess I don't see why feedback would have any better utility
than fade -
 > it seems more limited, and its destructive nature doesn't seem
like an asset
 > in any situation that I can envision

Feedback and fade are different tools used for different purposes.
One classic application of feedback would be in "ambient" looping where
you are continually overdubbing, and each overdub gradually decays over
several loop iterations.  The loop keeps evolving for as many hours
as you
choose to keep playing.  The key difference between this and what some
multitrack loopers do, is that you are only using one track, the track
is being destructively modified.

A multitrack looper can simulate feedback by putting each overdub
on a different track and lowering the output level of the earlier
tracks.  This works until you fill all the tracks, then you have
to start throwing something away.  With true feedback, the layers can
decay over an unlimited number of loop iterations.

Putting overdubs on separate tracks works very well for "arrangement"
looping, where you record a beatbox pattern, then overdub a bass line,
then some rhythm guitar, etc.  Here the loop doesn't evolve in the
same way.  Each layer stands on its own and you want to mix them
individually.  In this case fades make more sense, you may want to
temporarily fade out the rhythm guitar, but then fade it back in
later.

A more advanced use of feedback is to "play" it using a continuous
controller pedal.  The simplest use of feedback is to set it to a
fixed value, like 50%, so the layers decay steadily.  But you
can also dynamically change feedback as the loop plays to create
volume swells or tremolo effects in the background as you overdub
new layers.

A more mundane application of feedback is just to simulate a digital
delay where the loop is short, say 1 or 2 seconds, and  whatever you
play
decays over a few loops, but you're not burning any new tracks.

Of course, it is nice if a looper provides both features :-)

Jeff